Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Lemon Garlic Insanity

Sunday evening, Chris and I were sitting on the couch reading.  It was nice and quiet, and we should have known better! I kept saying "Do you smell lemon?"  I couldn't figure out why my house was filling with the wonderful smell of lemon.  It was almost relaxing.  So naturally, I let way too much time go by, enjoying the quiet, before I went to investigate that lovely smell in the air.

I followed the scent until it got stronger, which led me tot he kitchen. I could clearly see the floor was soaked.  But with what?  I went in to investigate, and upon stepping onto my kitchen floor, I did a form of gymnastics that bent my legs into some kind of pretzely split.  What in the world??  Water is not this slippery and it doesn't smell nearly this sweet.

When I looked up, there he was. Just grinning and staring at me.  My three year old was tucked into the corner of the cabinets, holding a once full spray can of Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish.  My heart sunk.  How in creation am I going to get furniture polish off of my linoleum floor, my stove, my cabinets, and my rugs?

Thanks to Mrs. Meyers cleaner, vinegar, a steam mop and too much time spent cleaning instead of relaxing on a Sunday night, I now have the cleanest kitchen in Mt. Croghan! LOL

Boys sure do some crazy things.  My girls never did things like that.  My little boy is breaking me in good, in the patience, cleaning, and acrobatic department.  I have had boys, but that was what seems like long ago, and I feel like I've forgotten what it's like to raise little ones.  My boys are soon to be 11 and 16.  they don't really hose kitchens down with furniture polish, or bathe cats in the toilet, or other sanity breaking activities like that anymore.  But my little Jack Jack has been vigilant in reminding of what raising little boys is all bout Buddy!

And he likes to make sure I don't forget by ensuring that there wont be too much time gone by in between his "exploring" the world and systematically destroying it phase.

Take for example this morning.  I thought for just one second that I had it together today. Awe, how cute of me.  All the older kids were sitting down doing school work.  The littles (Jack and Belle) were on the porch playing with the doll house and little horsies.  Now is the perfect time to check my email and the latest news right?  Yes!  With my hot cup of tea, I sat down to read. And it was glorious for about 3.5 minutes.  Until I started to smell garlic.  Garlic?  At 9 am?  What the what?  This time, I knew there needed to be an investigation sooner rather than later.

The kids are sitting quietly at tables and desks doing school work.  The kitchen is untouched, and clean.  Did I just not brush my teeth good this morning?  Oh no, wait, there it is.  The sound of disaster.  It's a distinct squeal of joy that a boy \makes when he knows his Mother is about to have a mild heart attack and her hair is just about to fall out.  That squeal is coming from the porch, where is WAS quietly playing with his little sister 5 minutes ago.  But I know that that squeal does not mean good things.  So I go to the door and look out the window.  There they are, happy as clams, making sand castles out of my restaurant size container of garlic powder. Garlic doesn't work as well as sand thought, so maybe it'd be more fun to just throw it into the air and pretend it's snowing?  Yes, of course it would.

Mystery solved.  The garlic smell is coming from the garlic snow on my porch, awesome.

Also, garlic powder doesn't come out of wood real well.

But the upside is that my kitchen is wonderfully, lemony, clean, and we shouldn't have any vampire issues for like a long time, so...

Now if you'll excuse me, my girls are screaming something about Jack, a marker and a closet door. Right. I sat down again.

No comments: